This is how you do it
- Put a big pot (a soup pot, for example) on the stove. Add the 2.5 litres of water and put the heat on high. Wait until the water boils.
- Grate the 45 grams of the soap bar and add this to the water. Stir it through until the soap has dissolved completely.
- Add the 45 grams of washing soda to the boiling water as well. Again, stir it through until the soda has completely dissolved, too.
- Turn off the heat and leave the mixture alone for at least 12 hours.
- After the 12 hours are up, the mixture will have become thicker. Pour it into a big plastic container to store it.
- This amount of detergent will definitely be enough for at least 40 loads of laundry!
- Note: make sure the drum of your washing machine is made out of stainless steel! If it’s made of aluminium, the washing soda might damage it. Most modern washing machines are made of stainless steel, luckily.
This DIY detergent is so inexpensive because you only need a few ingredients. A bar of soap is very cheap, just like a kilo of soda – and only 45 grams is enough! In the end, 2.5 liters of this homemade liquid detergent will cost you less than 1 euro. You won’t find it cheaper anywhere else. And it’s also much better for the environment, so nature will thank you!
Check out the step-by-step instruction video below: