Food

7 food products we didn’t know are actually toxic

Who knew these food products are actually toxic?

When we’re feeling peckish, we want to eat as much as possible as soon as possible.Often, we just grab a bag of crisps or make ourselves a nice sandwich with lettuce and tomato.We don’t always think about what we eat, but it might be smart to start doing that from now on…

You can’t just eat these food products willy nilly.

Mushrooms

There are many different mushrooms and you were probably told as a kid that you couldn’t eat them all. Red with white spots, for example, is definitely inedible. But there are many other types of poisonous mushrooms. The mushrooms you can find in the supermarket are safe, but if you go out into the wild looking for mushrooms, you have to be very careful.

Rhubarb

When we make rhubarb compote, we cut off the leaves and that is just as well. You can eat the stalk perfectly fine, but rhubarb leaves are definitely toxic.

Tomatoes

You don’t need to ban tomatoes from your life altogether. In fact, the tomato itself isn’t toxic, but the stalk and the leaves contain a toxin that can cause cramps and intense stomach pain. So, always remove the little crown from the tomato before eating it.

Go to the next page to read about the four other toxic food products!